Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, StartUp, Crimetown, Homecoming, and The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Gimlet Media is looking for a Director of Legal Affairs to establish, lead, and execute all aspects of the company’s legal work. To begin you will be a “one person band” working cross functionally with the entire organization on everything from creating Gimlet’s scope of work agreements with advertising clients, to supporting the negotiations of TV & Film deals, to advising editorial leadership on libel or defamation risk. You will also be a main point of contact for Gimlet’s outside attorneys, including related to corporate, media, intellectual property, and employment law.
This hire will serve an integral role in Gimlet’s various business affairs and deal-making efforts, partnering across the company’s business and editorial teams.
What You’ll Do
- Lead Gimlet’s negotiation efforts end-to-end across many types of deal settings (e.g., IP licensing, show acquisitions, talent agreements, platform deals).
- Draft and review legal documents including content licensing agreements, distribution agreements, development and production agreements, talent agreements, and independent contractor agreements.
- Work with editorial teams to address legal issues relating to content licensing (e.g., third party music, archival audio, etc.), fair use, and occasionally lend support on FOIA request submission
- Provide pre-listen vetting and guidance to editorial teams with particular focus on situations where adversarial journalism is being practiced
What You Have
- BA/BS degree and J.D. degree with admission to one or more state bars in good standing required (NY or CA preferred)
- 3+ years legal experience in a commercial-oriented role
- Deep knowledge of IP law and an understanding of various entertainment contracts and deal structures (e.g., option agreements, talent agreements, insertion orders)
- Ability to motivate and manage others through skilled relationship building
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate within the Company at all levels.
- Enthusiasm for Gimlet’s work
This is a full time role, based in our Brooklyn, NY offices. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter HERE. This posting will close at 5 PM ET on Friday, August 25.