Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Fast Company called us one of the top 10 most innovative media companies in the world. We’re looking for ambitious, curious, talented and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to make amazing things, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Crimetown is a documentary podcast that explores the tangled web of crime and corruption in American cities. Each season, we report stories from a different city, and we are beginning production on Season 2. You can listen to our latest episode here, or catch up on Season 1 by starting here.
Crimetown is looking for an intern to support the production of Season 2. Here’s what we’re looking for: someone who is ready to work a lot. Someone who likes thinking about what makes stories interesting, and how to reorganize them to make them better. Someone who is ready to dig into archives, and who has a deep fascination with urban politics and true crime stories. You should like collaborating. If you have experience with podcasting, digital audio editing, or radio journalism, that’s great too!
You will be an essential part of the Crimetown team.
What You’ll Do
- Transcribe lots of interviews
- Sift through countless files
- Email total strangers
- Participate in group edits
- Book guests
- Dig up facts
- Help us make the best stories we can
What You Have
- A love of collaboration
- Familiarity with audio editing software
- An ability to manage multiple projects
- A determination to find the fact, book the guest, or get the answer
- A desire to make great stories
This is a paid, full-time internship based in our Brooklyn, NY offices and will run from October to March.
What You Should Submit
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and short answers (250 words or less) to these three questions:
- Tell us about your favorite moment from a podcast you recently listened to.
- Pitch us a city we should cover in Season 2 or a subsequent season. Tell us the story the way you’d tell it to a friend. Tell us the two most essential figures you’d would want to interview for the season, and tell us why their stories are interesting to you.
- What’s something you watched, read, or heard recently that could have/should have been amazing, that came so close, but for one big problem? Tell us the problem and how you’d change it.
This posting will close at 5pm ET on Monday, September 25th. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter HERE.