Gimlet media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes newly-launched, critically-acclaimed shows like Homecoming, Heavyweight, and Science Vs. We’re also home to perennial favorites Reply All and StartUp. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to make amazing things, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
We’re going back to one of the biggest, most tumultuous and well-documented moments in American history, and turning the story on its head. (We can’t tell you which one, but we will soon.) This new show will tell the stories that were left out of the official version, the ones you won’t see in documentaries or movies. Hosted by two major talents in audio storytelling, the show will guide listeners through a series of mind-bending, poignant, and gut-wrenching episodes about war, race, gender, spies, music, betrayal, and hot-air balloons. And it will connect these underreported moments from the past to the raucous political moment we’re living in right now.
We need an intern for the spring through the summer. Here’s what would make you a great fit for this position: You love great stories and audio, and thinking about how to put them together. You’re deeply curious. You’re someone who believes collaboration makes work better. You’re hungry to learn. The team will work closely on all steps of production, including finding and shaping story ideas, interviewing, field recording, cutting tape, and editing stories. The intern will be a part of all of that.
What You’ll Do
- Log tape and select the best moments from interviews
- Dig around for archival audio
- Pitch story ideas
- Participate in edit sessions
What You Have
- The drive to do great work
- Ability to balance several responsibilities at once, and solid follow through
- Love of audio storytelling
- Responsiveness to feedback
- Familiarity with audio editing software
- A willingness to step in where needed, to learn new skills, to work with a team
This is a paid, full-time internship based in our Brooklyn, NY, offices and will run from approximately April 17 through August 15. You must be able to start full-time on April 17 AND be pre-authorized to work in the US in order to be considered for this role.
What You Should Submit
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and short answers (250 words or less) to the questions below HERE:
- Tell us about your favorite moment from a podcast you recently listened to. What makes that moment compelling?
- Pick a moment from pre-1950s American history that you think has significant reverberations in the present: describe it, tell us why that story is interesting to you, and how you’d want to tell it.
This posting will close Wednesday, March 29th at 5pm Eastern.