We head to a farm in Alabama to find out what happened after thousands of immigrants left the state. Did it create more jobs for Americans and what happened to the crime rate? We speak to economists Prof. Samuel Addy, Prof. Jennifer Hunt, and Prof. Brian Bell to find out.
Science Vs Live!
Come see our live show on the science behind red wine, coffee and chocolate – could our favorite treats actually be good for us? Thursday 3/23 at the Bell House. Get your tickets here.
This episode has been produced by Heather Rogers, Shruti Ravindran and me. Kaitlyn Sawrey is our senior producer. Production assistance by Ben Kuebrich. We’re edited by Annie Rose Strasser. Fact Checking by Michelle Harris. Sound engineering, music production and original music written by Bobby Lord. Thanks to Dr Anna Piil Damm, Professor Charis Kubrin, Assistant Professor Jorg Spenkuch, Professor Kristin Butcher and Ramiro Martinez… as well as the Zukerman family.
- 2016 NAS report: The Economic and Fiscal Consequences of Immigration (with ‘key messages and conclusions’ starting on page 202.
- ACLU analysis of “Alabama Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act,” HB 56
- 2003 analysis and 2015 analysis on how immigrants affect wages
- Brian Bell’s 2013 study on the effect of two different immigration waves on crime in the UK
- FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Database