A dead body turns up with a stolen identity. This week, we tell the story of how a grandmother tracked down the truth — and helped create a whole new and controversial world of crime fighting. To tell this story, we talk to U.S. Marshal Peter Elliott, Dr. Margaret Press, and Phil Nichols.
Check out the transcript right here.
Note: in this episode we discuss suicide and homicide. Please take care when listening to the show, and here are some resources:
- National Mental Health Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357).
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
- National Hotline for Crime Victims 1-855-4-VICTIM (1-855-484-2846)
- Press Conference revealing Joseph Newton Chandler's true identity [SPOILER ALERT]
- Margaret Press’ DNA Doe Project
This episode was produced by Rose Rimler and our senior producer, Kaitlyn Sawrey with help from Wendy Zukerman as well as Meryl Horn and Odelia Rubin. We’re edited by Blythe Terrell. Editing help from Alex Blumberg and Caitlin Kenney. Fact checking by Michelle Harris. Mix and sound design by Emma Munger. Music by Emma Munger and Bobby Lord. A huge thanks to all the people we got in touch with for this episode including Dr. Colleen Fitzpatrick at DNA Doe Project and Curtis Rogers at GEDmatch. Recording help from Selene Ross, Tana Weingartner and Daniel Robison. Also thanks to the Zukerman Family and Joseph Lavelle Wilson.